Do you have questions on whether Pacific Life is a good insurance company?
If so, then you came to the right place.
Everything you could want and need to know is right here in this Pacific Life Insurance review.
Topics Covered In This Article
- Pacific Life Insurance Ratings
- Pacific Life Insurance Company Underwriting
- Pacific Life Underwriting Rate Class Criteria Up To Age 64
- Pacific Life Underwriting Rate Class Criteria For Seniors Over Age 65
- Pacific Life Underwriting Requirements By Age & Amount
- Pacific Life Insurance Height/Weight Guidelines
- Maximum Coverage Amount Available By Age & Income
- Pacific Life Term Life Insurance Product Details
- Pacific Life Term Life Insurance Premiums
- Pacific Life Insurance No Medical Exam Option
- Pacific Life Permanent Life Insurance Product (GUL) Details
- Pacific Life Insurance GUL Premiums
- Final Thoughts
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Founded: 1868 (153 years)
Phone: (800) 800-7646
Address: 700 Newport Center Drive, Newport Beach, CA 92660-6397
J.D. Power Ranking: 776 out of 1000
Claims: 100% valid claims paid, $3 billion insurance and annuity benefits paid out in 2020
Assets: $191 Billion
Life Insurance In force: $1.2 trillion
Awards: Ranked by Forbes Advisor as the #1 Life Insurance Carrier, based on cost competitiveness, historical performance, and financial strength 2021. Pacific Life was also named named one of the 2021 World’s Most Ethical Companies by the Ethisphere Institute and named a 2021 Best Customer Service Company in Newsweek’s annual “Best of Customer Service” awards. Pacific Life was named to Life Health Ward 50 Companies.
Rankings: #1 in indexed universal life and universal life insurance sales and 4th largest in total life insurance sales in America
|Rating Agency||Strength Ratings|
|A.M. Best||A+ (Superior)|
|Fitch||AA- (Very Strong)|
|S&P Global||AA- (Very Strong)|
Pacific Life Insurance Company Underwriting
Preferred Best Health Class
- Build (height/weight): Ages 0-64 with Body Mass Index (BMI) ≤ 33, Ages 65+ with BMI ≤ 35.
- Total Cholesterol: Treated or untreated total cholesterol of 150-300.
- Blood Pressure: Treated or untreated.
Preferred Health Class
- Anxiety/Depression: Preferred available for mild to moderate depression or anxiety with stability on up to 2 medications (cannot be 3rd line drugs or antipsychotics) with limited time off work and no hospitalizations.
- Sleep Apnea: Preferred available for Mild Sleep Apnea (Apnea-Hypopnea Index (AHI) or Respiratory Disturbance Index (RDI) of 10-30 and oxygen saturation better than 80%).
- Asthma: Preferred available for mild to moderate asthma (exercise induced, seasonal, etc.) with less than 2 attacks per week, treated with preventive oral bronchodilators or self-administered inhaled bronchodilator and/or inhaled steroids.
- Gastrointestinal Disorders: Ulcerative Proctitis–Preferred available when limited to rectum and sigmoid colon for at least 3 years, normal weight, and treatment limited to rectal administration of steroid/salicylate preparations or oral sulfasalazine/salicylate drugs only.
- Foreign Travel: Preferred available for travel up to 4 consecutive weeks.
- Active Military: No exclusion for military duty. They only rate for hazardous duty (e.g. demolition expert). Maximum amount that can be considered is $1 million.
- Aviation: Preferred without a flat extra available for private pilots who hold an instrument flight rating (IFR), fly 26-150 hours per year (personal pleasure flying, no business flying for pay), and are between issue ages 20 and 70.
Pacific Life Underwriting Rate Class Criteria Up To Age 64
Pacific Life Underwriting Rate Class Criteria For Seniors Over Age 65
Pacific Life Underwriting Requirements By Age & Amount
- $0 to $99,999k
- $100,000 to $250,000
- $250,0001 to $500,000
- $500,000 to $1,000,000
- $1,000,000 to $2,000,000
- $2,000,001 to $3,000,000
- $3,000,001 to $5,000,000
- $5,000,001 to $10,000,000
- $10,000,001 and up
Pacific Life Insurance Height/Weight Guidelines
Pacific Life has the best height/weight (build), BMI guidelines in the entire country for life insurance. Take a look at how favorable their build chart is below for those between the ages 18-64.
Pacific Life Insurance Height/Weight Guidelines For Ages 18-64 Year Old
Pacific Life Insurance Height/Weight Guidelines For Seniors Over 65 Year Old
Pacific Life has the best life insurance height/weight (build), BMI guidelines in the entire country for seniors over age 65. Take a look at how favorable build chart is below for seniors over 65 years old.
Maximum Coverage Amount Available By Age & Income
Age Maximum Amount
21-40 30 x annual income
41-50 20 x annual income
51-60 15 x annual income
61-70 10 x annual income
70 and over Individual Consideration (typically 5x annual income)
Up to 100% of the income-earning spouse/domestic partner’s coverage to a maximum of $3 million. Individual consideration if over $3 million.
Usually based on projected net worth x 55%; projected net worth based on current net worth grown at 6% annual rate, for lesser of 15 years or life expectancy. Coverage in excess of guideline amounts on individual consideration basis
The average of the last 3 years’ history of charitable gifts x the lesser of 50 years or remaining life expectancy. Coverage in excess of guideline amounts on individual consideration basis.
Debt repayment coverage can be considered in addition to Key Person coverage, but cannot exceed 100% of the debt and cannot exceed 50% of the amount allowed by key person multipliers. Lines of Credit may be insured if they have been used during the 2 years immediately preceding the application date. Policy term cannot exceed remaining term of the loan by more than 10 years.
Key Person– Business
5-10 x annual wages (depending on involvement in the business operations and circumstances); higher amounts will be considered on an individual basis. Up to 100% of non-wage benefits may be included, at the underwriter’s discretion.
Buy-Sell -Business Continuation- Business Succession
Owner and beneficiary must be the person or entity that will (or has the option to) buy the insured’s interest in the business. Coverage amount will be determined based on the evaluation of the case, including ownership and business valuation.
Pacific Life Term Life Insurance Product Details
Pacific Life’s term life insurance is excellent for:
- Replace your lost income for your family’s financial well-being
- Pay off mortgage for family home
- Pay final funeral expenses
- Cover tuition for your children’s education
- SBA Loan life insurance requirement
- Key person coverage
- Divorce agreement
- Buy-sell agreement
Product Name: PL Promise Term
Competitive Rates: Pacific Life often has the best term life insurance rates in the country.
Term Lengths: 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 year level terms. Fluidless underwriting for older ages, no rate class restrictions.
Minimum Amount: $50k ($50,000)
Maximum Amount: $10 million +
Conversion: Pacific Life has an excellent conversion option to permanent insurance on their term product. At any time during your level premium period (not to exceed your attained age 70), you may convert all or a part of the PL Promise Term policy’s death benefit to a new universal life insurance policy that Pacific Life makes available at the time of conversion. There is no additional underwriting approval required.
Accelerated Death Benefit Rider:
Free rider that allows the ability to accelerate a portion of the policy’s death benefit via the Accelerated Death Benefit Rider if you become terminally ill.
•Choice of premium payment mode: annually, semi-annually, quarterly, or monthly
•Choice of electronic policy delivery for ease and convenience
.•Choice of electronic application for potentially faster turnaround times
Pacific Life Term Life Insurance Premiums
|Age||10 Year Term|
|15 Year Term|
|20 Year Term|
|25 Year Term|
|30 Year Term|
Pacific Life Insurance No Medical Exam Option
Pacific Life offers a great no exam option called Smooth Sailing, which is meant to streamline the underwriting process for those who qualify. It is an accelerated underwriting program that waives the the traditional medical exam if the following qualifications are met:
- You are between the ages of 50-69 years old (nearest birthday)
- Can go up to $1 million of total life insurance inforce with Pacific Life, currently applying for and including existing coverage with PacLife.
- Have had a comprehensive physical with your personal physician with the last 18 months.
- Pacific Life will do a phone interview to determine if the paramed is needed, if it’s not needed, they will just use your medical records for the underwriting, which they will obtain at their own cost.
Pacific Life Permanent Life Insurance Product (GUL) Details
Pacific Life has one of the best no-lapse GUL policies in the country. It starts at $25k which makes it a great chose for final expenses in addition to estate planning.
- Estate planning
- Income replacement
- Final expenses
- Pass wealth to children, grandchildren or charitable organizations income tax free
- Guaranteed protection for life
- Debts that may last your lifetime such as a mortgage or a loan
- A special needs dependent
- Buy-sell agreement to have an orderly business succession
- Key person coverage
Product Name: PL Promise GUL
No-Lapse Guarantee Protection Options To: Age 90, Age 95, Age 95, Age 100, Age 105, Age 110 or Age 121
Minimum Face Amount: $25k
Maximum Amount: $10 million +
Issue Ages: 18 to 80 years old
Pacific Life Insurance GUL Premiums
**Rates and policy amount are both fixed until age 121**
Pacific Life is one of the oldest, largest and best life insurance companies in America in 2021. One of the reasons for their longevity and success is that they put their customers first and have served families and businesses successfully for over 150 years and never failed to pay a valid claim.
Pacific Life often has the lowest rates in the country for term life and permanent life insurance (GUL). PacLife has excellent conversion options on their term life policy as well as an excellent ROP feature on their PL Promise GUL policy.
Not only is Pacific Life one of the most well-known and respected life insurance companies in the country, but they are one of the most financially secure with an A+ (Superior) financial rating from A.M. Best and a 93 Comdex score.
Also, Pacific Life has great underwriting guidelines, including the most lenient build chart (height/weight) guidelines in the industry making the a top choice for many of our clients.
Also, as part of a mutual holding company structure, PacLife has no publicly-traded stock, so they can focus on long-term strategies, financial strength, and the best interest of their policy owners.
We hope our Pacific Life Insurance Review 2021, has provided you the necessary information to assist you in choosing the right policy to protect your family or business.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Pacific Life is A+ (Superior) rated by A.M. Best. Superior is the highest category.
Yes, Pacific Life is one of the oldest, largest and best life insurance companies in America. They also have some of the lowest rates in the nation for their term and universal life insurance policies.
Yes, Pacific Life has never failed to pay out a valid claim in the history of the company. In 2020, Pacific Life paid out $3 billion in insurance and annuity benefits.
Pacific Life is a private company that has no publicly-traded stock, therefore they are able to act in the best interest of their policy owners. This is how PacLife has been able to serve families and businesses successfully for over 150 years and never failed to pay a valid claim.